David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

XJ40 Supercharged AJ16 Project

Meeting room
carsie

XJ40 Supercharged AJ16 Project

Postby carsie » Tue May 05, 2015 3:10 pm

Introduction

Thought you might like to follow my project.

I am building an XJ40 Supercharged AJ16. The project has started and the first pictures will be available in a couple of weeks’ time when the first panel cuts are made.

By way of introduction and before I show the build progress, I thought you might appreciate the background and thought process.

If you find my monologues boring or unwelcome, please don’t be backward in coming forward just shout and I’ll cut to the chase with the pics –as some of the olders members on here know only too well, it’s not unknown Carsie to talk boll**cks and talk the hind legs off a donkey ;)

For this project, I am taking an XJR300, stripping it to its central shell and then transferring the outer XJ40 panels and interior trim into the XJR.

The build objective is to create an XJ40 upgrade that would have come down the production line if the XJ300 facelift hadn’t occurred.

Engineering integrity and presentation will be paramount – for the fun, for the idiom, think E –Type Series 1.5 – better engine, gearbox, deeper floor pan and yet retaining the beauty and simplicity of the early design lines.

My aim is to build a car that has the look and feel of a two year old car i.e. not concours, not afraid to be driven hard and in the wet and yet be special enough to warrant the occasion to remove the dust sheet if I want to dine out with my lady SLIMBO.

Economics

The reality is that if the value of the ’40 was anything other than rock bottom this project would not be being considered.

A quick tour and a little patience of any of our popular For Sale haunts elicits any number of really nice quality ‘40’s needing little to no work, nice provenance and low mileage, all for under maximum figure of £5k, a figure in itself which is derisory when compared to the laughable valuations placed upon such mediocrity as “Barn Find Ford XYX” ; the stunning 3.2S ‘’40 for sale in Preston with 60k mls at £3995 a case in point.

The XJR300 is in my view a little more debatable and perhaps contentious. We are all well versed in the integrity of the powertrain, platform and the performance; these cars too, having descended past the quality forecourts, now find themselves popularly advertised on Gumtree et-al. where the market buyers are. (Poetic licence )

As with the ’40, it is my view that a quality XJR of excellent provenance, history mileage etc. can also still be bought for under £5k and with records indicating there are some 350 “survivors” I think there will be plenty to choose from in the future and that is before we debate the merits of the Supercharged 308.

And so to the cars in question.

The Donors

I have two Jags’ a ’40 and an XJR300 both of which need money investing in them to bring them up to standard

XJ40- late ’94 Model ‘300 switchgear, airbag etc

Make no mistake, I really like my ’40, I’ve had several Jags over the years and I come back to the ’40 time and time again. I like the styling, cuboid though it is, I find it elegant and restrained. The story of mine is well known and I have aired my well intentioned long term plans many a time- the car is a keeper, albeit I have wavered on a couple of occasions 

Over the past couple of years I have been buying all of the different parts needed to bring my ’40 back up to standard- new front bumper, grille, shockers, mirror covers etc etc – the shed is nicely glinting.

Turning my attention to the bodywork deemed the need to replace the bulkhead – new panel in my shed stores, attend to front arches and install new floor pan c/o Nakki and generally apply mig and panel wherever required. All do-able and within the skills of a decent panel beater and therein lies the rub- I have the knowledge but not the skill.

To create a project that involves taking the final knife to it will be really hard and emotionally challenging but I will be building a better car and therefore I will seek solace that the spirit of the car will live on.

XJR 300- early ’95 Model

Fate stepped in and offered me the XJR, in number sequence only a few thousand from my own ’40 which in manufacturing terms makes this car interesting to compare and contrast and by co-incidence the XJR is the same colour in Flamenco and also fitted with a sunroof.

Having had the opportunity to use the XJR for some four months with daily long trips in excess of 200 miles up and back down the motorway it demonstrated how capable and what a fantastic car this Jag is and that, set me thinking.

The ‘300 facelift was definitely a success, as sales demonstrated, but for me the facelift was not cohesive. I find the “face” very well executed, the fluting and the integration of the grille and bumpers re-affirming the design cues that this was a Jag, alas for me, from this point forward the fluidity of design falters.

In side profile, the extension to the lower section of the bumpers extends from the bumper trailing edge and not from the trailing edge of the wing and tailamp/headlamp, leading to an visually overly long car with a small compressed cabin; the facts are, that the cars have the same dimensions it’s just not a beauty, unlike the stillborn XJ90.

Ford pushed the design compromise and of course design and taste are personal; for my taste the late Geoff Lawson team didn’t hit the mark. The high boot, fantastic for luggage, was a rump stuck on a fine design and lacked the finesse of the sloping ’40 further endorsing my decision to stick with the ’40. As an aside it is for the same reason that I’m not overly fond of the XK8, a car that I think looks as though it is standing on “Tippy Toes” with a big backside and too high wheel arch gaps.- This is of course the world according to me .

And so to content..

Project Management and Work Content

Overview

This project is to take an XJR 300 and remove the outer panels, replacing them with XJ40 panels.

The XJR300 interior will also be exchanged for the XJ40 interior albeit the XJR dashboard will be retained. The softer edges of the interior panels and better quality dashboard and fitting will enhance the cabin.

I am looking to present the car with “surprise and delight” and so the hunt is on for xj40/Daimler picnic table and XJ300 inlays to match to outgoing inlays of the ’40.

Tan dashboard and matching cant rails and door tops have been sourced to match the ’40 AEE trim code and replace the piano black and cream XJR trim; carpets will be changed over from XJR black to rattan XJ40.

I am interested in buying any perfect to near perfect trim if anyone has anything for sale.

Benefits:

1. No rust!! The 300 shell is in amazing condition needing only a little remedy, but then it is gazzillion years old.

2. No Rust!! – Sorry – have I said that already? ;)

3. Powertrain

The difficulty experienced in transplanting the AJ16R engine is primarily due to the software aspects of integrating the Engine Management Systems ESC, ABS, ECU and Security into the target vehicle. As we know, the preferred option/ route is to use an aftermarket ECU e.g. Emerald and to build the Management Profiles from there.

• By retaining the core model, all of the headaches are circumvented, leaving only the integration of panel work and sundry electrical componentry

• Retention of the standard XJR ESC

• GM 4L80-E transmission

• Biggest benefit - 325 BHP and 150 mph capability 

4. Chassis

One can’t have power without control can you?

• Retention of lower ride height suspension of XJR including spring/damper rates

• Brakes – Std XJR

• Limited Slip Diff

• Traction Control

5. Body

• The XJ300 was built with new robotics at Castle Bromwich providing a structurally better engineered platform

• The majority of the panel work in the late ’94 model year is interchangeable (I think….. lol!) with the exception of the boot floor, rear qtr panels and the roof. The C Post has a different bonded screen and different footprint at the join to the ¾ panel removing the need for the ’40 sticking plaster joint.

• Headlamp panels may need to be changed but as both cars feature quads, the expectation is that the changeover will be “nut and bolt” including benefit of actually having rubber backing covers for a change 

• Both cars have front fog lamps including XJ40 self-melt variety –investigations underway as to possible alternatives without changing aesthetics but the wiring including all relays provides the opportunity to “plug and play”

6. Interior

Retention of :

• Larger sunroof in XJ300 including tilt/slide facility

• Harmon Kardon Stereo system

• Nippondenso Air-conditioning

• Heated front screen

• Heated front seats

Conclusion

I am truly excited about this project – it has been a long time coming but the wait has been worthwhile particularly as synchronicity stepped in to make the project a whole lot more exciting and present me with the chance to build a unique car.

I will still be constrained by monies as my priorities are elsewhere but I am not wanting a long build time either.

Both cars will be dropped off this coming Saturday and will be keeping company with XJ40R, E Type, XK140, MK2 and an immaculate MK7 whilst I endeavour to squeeze my expanding frame into a pair of overalls. Does anyone remember that young lady with the angle grider I posted some time ago ….yes?....:) …..well no! SLIMBO say’s she can’t help me!  lol!

Scary and fun eh?

Let me know what you think and I will post pic’s along the way.

Carsie
94 XJ40 S-C (Build Phase)

donkeyotty
North Wales Rep

Re: XJ40 Supercharged AJ16 Project

Postby donkeyotty » Tue May 05, 2015 4:23 pm

Carsie, If ever there was a man to actually complete this project then it is you :D Your product knowledge :ugeek: is amazing and will stand you in good stead on the short road to this projects conclusion. Your monologues are a work of art and I have already read it twice and almost nearly understand it. :lol: :lol: A third reading is forthcoming. I wish you well, Don.
1994 Regency Red 4.0 Sovereign M117FVC Chassis 705979
1993 Volvo 940 2.0 Turbo Wentworth Estate (Daily)

M-e-l-l-o-w

Postby M-e-l-l-o-w » Wed May 06, 2015 10:08 am

Are the inner wings different on the X300’s? (IE they are lower towards the front so the XJ40 outer wings will not fit?)

Mellow
2004 (Facelift 05-MY) 4.2 Jaguar S-Type R in Black.

Morocco Red / Magnolia 4.0 Sovereign Auto Vin.708xxx.Insurance write off on Friday 13th March 2015.

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Wed May 06, 2015 11:29 am

Theres no doubt an abundance of engineering challenges await!

94 X300

93 XJ40
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

carsie

Postby carsie » Wed May 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Donkeyotty - you flatter me :oops: - This project is nothing really when compared to others I've seen on RetroRides.

I must confess to being a little reticent to post until I'd made progress but actually, thinking through the issues before cutting has taken the longest time and I thought it might be of interest

I do envisage a problem with the C Post (oh that TonyBMW was aboard :roll: ) but heh! it will get solved and I'll post pics when I'm at that stage.

One thing I didn't mention and it made the Panelbeaters' eyes raise - I want to cut off the back section and then weld back on again as a single unit- somewhat like pushing the inside of a matchbox out. The benefit being minimal welding, distortion and disturbing factory joints - you'll see in the pics in due course.

For all other problems - I have this...

:D

94 XJ40 S-C (Build Phase)

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Wed May 06, 2015 8:44 pm

I admire your bravery Carsie.
This will be truly unique creation.
I think we are all chomping at the bit to see how it takes shape.
How about a before picture of each car, to set the scene?

So who will be doing all the metal work?
A very talented man I assume!
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

rvdz
Forum Hero

Postby rvdz » Wed May 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Wow! What a great, interesting project and a very enjoyable read. Quite challenging too, but you clearly know what you're talking about. I wish you the best of luck and will follow this thread with much interest.
Roel

1994 Sovereign 4.0 Auto [698760]

MagicDoormouse

Postby MagicDoormouse » Thu May 07, 2015 9:02 am

Been waiting for ages for you to write this up Mike! Let me know about the other stuff.
1990 Sovereign (Brian)
1994 Sovereign Silver
1993 Daimler (Parkhouse)
1990 XJR Solent
1993 Daimler Double 6
1993 XJR Flamenco
1991 XJS V12
1976 Capri 3.0 V6

MagicDoormouse

Postby MagicDoormouse » Thu May 07, 2015 9:03 am

Been waiting for ages for you to write this up Mike! Let me know about the other stuff.
1990 Sovereign (Brian)
1994 Sovereign Silver
1993 Daimler (Parkhouse)
1990 XJR Solent
1993 Daimler Double 6
1993 XJR Flamenco
1991 XJS V12
1976 Capri 3.0 V6

Rensdd6

Postby Rensdd6 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:02 pm

Incredible and brave story! You combine the ability to devise complex projects and write very well structured on it, that is quite a talent! Meanwhile you get me thinking about the design elements of the XJ40 and those of the X300 … very nice to point those out so focused, I really I have to have a closer look and rethink what I was thinking.

You will build up very valuable knowlegde on the common and different elements of the XJ40 and X300. And you will be able to test it in the metal practice! You must be about the only one on earth with this kind of hands-on experience. Phantastic! Please share your knowledge as much as possible here, we all will profit from it.

Good luck, Rens
Dongen, The Netherlands
1982 Rover SD1 shell
1985 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas 383,000 km
1985 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas wreck
1987 Rover 825 Sterling
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse
1991 Daimler donor
1992 Daimler regency
1992 Daimler donor
1993 Daimler Double Six solent blue
1993 Daimler Double Six brooklands