David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Me XJ40.com and the future

Meeting room
Dazstap
Snr Member

Re: Me XJ40.com and the future

Postby Dazstap » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:49 am

I have already suggested the points you make Roel. For perhaps £10 or £20 a year users can have unlimited access.

Then we can talk to sponsors and elevate it from there.
Smiling Sovereign Owner

Elsa_jag

Postby Elsa_jag » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:13 pm

I think an annual fee as a ‘proper club’ is the way to go.

JR will need actual practical help with it though, it won’t just be a fee and that’s it, there will be loads of work created by being a ‘proper’ club.

If of course JR has an appetite for this?

I’ve said before, on a number of events and issues, I’m happy to help where I can. In my experience the most successful clubs have very active members who share the load on the running of the club (proper roles, regular meetings, event planning etc).

I also think we’re very lucky to have people like Roel and Steve supporting the work currently going on behind the scenes and I think they deserve some real appreciation for keeping us going.

Unfortunately this year has been tough for everyone and having no ‘meets’ or events to go along to really takes something away from this forum. Many of us have been coming along to XJ40.com events for 10 years or more and it would be a shame for the forum to simply die off because of a tough year.
Regards, Carl

1994 3.2 s/ VIN 698892
http://xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1195

Dazstap
Snr Member

Postby Dazstap » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:32 pm

I have just spoken to JR as I thought the best move was to pick up the phone.

He is going to set up a team call between the committee members named at the start of this thread.

He is also going to check in here in the meantime.

It has been a cr@p year all round and without car shows we haven't even been able to enjoy thus hobby of ours. With this follows lees connection on not only this forum, but generally as there is no camaraderie. Hopefully this will turn around in 2021.

If nothing else, I have got the application in place to have a stand at the NEC Classic Car Show again in November.

Let's not let the forum die
Smiling Sovereign Owner

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:11 am

Well said all. It seems we are all of similar minds.

I am still a bit worried though that, given the nature of an internet based forum being very "IT heavy" and given that that sort of expertise isn't very commonplace, it still falls to a few IT knowledgeable people to keep the ship afloat, so to speak. May I suggest that, in any further discussions, priority be given to future-proofing the IT/internet side of things so that the webmaster role is less fraught with fire-fighting and therefore more productive and enjoyable for those who offer to do the job?
I know very little about internet things but I do know that it seems to evolve at such a hellish pace that any apparent solution today is just tomorrow's old news. If money needs to be raised through membership fees as suggested, then I second the motion if it offers a long-term solution to our problems. It's good to hear that it was the very technical/archival nature of this forum that attracted new members to owning a '40. That's what it's all about.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE - Sold
2007 Colorado Red Ford Galaxy Ghia

carlmt
Snr Member

Postby carlmt » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:49 pm

Evening All

I have been contributing a "sum of money" on a monthly basis to JR for being a member of this Forum for a number of years now. I know I am not the only one.
Additionally, I am quite sure that there are some "sponsorship" deals that support this site (see the advertisements above), so there should be a pot of money kicking about to take the Forum into a new domain.

I agree that a membership fee should be considered.

Whatever happens, I think JR needs to hand over the reins to someone who can devote some time to matters Forum related - not taking anything away from him per se, but his having ultimate "control" is hampering things drastically.

Just my tuppence-worth.

CT
1990 Daimler 4.0 638778
First registered 01.01.1991

Rensdd6

Postby Rensdd6 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:39 pm

Hi guys!

A few words from Rens from The Netherlands, owner of the oldest but rotting Insignia and a great Daimler Double Six that you all have seen in Dunkeld in August 2016! Remember?

I just tried to catch up with my favourite forum and was a bit shocked to read that you are struggling for more reasons than the asocial media alone. I am not familiar with Facebook etcetera, only Twitter every now and then. And I was very familiar with this great forum, great with both written help AND great helpful friendly people. I have been busy with several other big projects, suffering from my very wide interest and hopeless optimistic nature. I did a large organ restoration job, had to look for another warehouse for all my cars and organ parts and in the end bought a church. Yes, 'mad' seems the better word than 'weird'.

It is bad to see that some of my friendly knowledgeable helpful friends (still friends yes) are moving away. This xj40.com forum was a great initiative (John! Rob! Naki!) and is a still incredibly good encyclopedia of xj40 knowledge. So if at least the text and the links could be ported to a more futureproof and IT-elegant place, that would be great.

I think I have to warn you: although John is the owner and initiator of the way to go, being unable to work for months and years beause of stress is not easily forgotten. That he promised to arrange things more than he delivered, it not something to blame him for, on the contrary: be careful. I think the best thing to do is to develop a viable way of porting the forum, into the direction Roel indicated, with a small devoted team, and only ask John for help if necessary. Although I wrote my own website in html, I think I am too oldfashioned to be of help with the forum issues. I hope this helps a bit and I wish you all the best and thank you for your hard work to keep the forum running and devise a save roadmap to save it for the future.

All the best,
Rens
Dongen, The Netherlands
1982 Rover SD1 shell
1985 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas 383,000 km
1985 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas wreck
1987 Rover 825 Sterling
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse
1991 Daimler donor
1992 Daimler regency
1992 Daimler donor
1993 Daimler Double Six solent blue
1993 Daimler Double Six brooklands
1993 Daimler Insignia

Rensdd6

Postby Rensdd6 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:33 pm

Could I please ask all of you guys leaving this forum for whatever reason to NOT DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT please? Otherwise the wise words you have contributed to the forum in the past are gone forever and also discussions become incomprehensible as posts fall out.

Thanks, all the best,
Rens

Return to “General Chat”