SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

XJ80 and some other Prototype Pics

Meeting room
carsie

XJ80 and some other Prototype Pics

Postby carsie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:03 pm

I posted the XJ90 a gazillion years ago and I really liked that car but was intrigued as to what had become of XJ80. Recently some of you may have seen it's reveal on FB c/o Chris Ruddell a former Jaguar designer.

My understanding was that GM was about to buy Jaguar and the developed the XJ80 (hence the proliferation of GM parts on early XJ40's, a legacy which continued with the alarm system) but the the government stepped in worried for the safety of the Bedford truck division and vetoed the deal.

I'll let the pics do the talking.

XJ80

XJ40 1978 George Thomson Doug Thorpe-

XJ40 1986

XJ40 Coupe

XJ90

XJ90
94 XJ40 S-C (Build Phase)

Re: XJ80 and some other Prototype Pics

Postby 682 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:08 pm

carsie wrote:XJ40 Coupe

The front of the coupe is very similar to that of the XJR. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

carsie

Re: XJ80 and some other Prototype Pics

Postby carsie » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:34 pm

682 wrote:
carsie wrote:XJ40 Coupe

The front of the coupe is very similar to that of the XJR. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome :)

This was the first time I had seen XJ90 from the rear. I was disappointing at the full legnth lights, reminds me of some American car but I can't put my finger on it at the minute; Im thinking Pontiac something or other.

My understanding was that XJ90 was never built as a working/rolling prototype but rather a styling clay.

The 2door XJ90 Coupe works really well and I agree the XJR definitely took its styling from the XJ40 Coupe rendering above.

I always find it design interesting and watch how concepts get diluted to production either through project creep or legislation.

It's nice when "pure design" (in my book) comes through unfettered. Im thinking C-XF , Advanced Lightweight the Muira and the Stratos

Missed examples include the Berton B99 the CX75

Whereas others RD6 was a no, no for me and the 220 which never hit my spot but XJR15 definitely did.

Have you seen the Daimler SP250 prototype that's a cross between an E type and a Dart? It's finished in burgundy with chrome wires and looks absolutely spot on. Sir William cancelled it because it would compete with the E type

A more modern twist (bad English -sorry!) what about the Fiat 127 with a rear end similar to Alfa Brera?

http://www.davidobendorfer.com/projectF127.html

Anyway, as usual, work beckons.

TTFN
94 XJ40 S-C (Build Phase)