David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Suspension rebuild/upgrade questions

Meeting room
Eddie_6505

Suspension rebuild/upgrade questions

Postby Eddie_6505 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 pm

Evening all,

I'm thinking of doing a full suspension rebuild on my Daimler. It's got the SLS which isn't really working so going to start with the rear.

I kind of fancy going for something a bit lower and sportier but don't want to compramise the ride too much. Is there much difference in ride between the sport and non sport suspension? Does anyone have any experience with the GAZ adjustable front shocks? Thinking of adding some polybuses too, wisdom seems to be use these only for lower wishbone bushes and standard for elsewhere to keep some complience in the ride? And will probably add the X306 front anti roll bar. Any other mods worth making?

Also happy if people want to tell me it's a Daimler and shouldn't be sporty and just rebuild with stock parts :lol:

Cheers,
Eddie
1988 Daimler 3.6

Walker
Snr Member

Re: Suspension rebuild/upgrade questions

Postby Walker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:53 am

My only input here for what it's worth is that any new Bush would be an improvement to any (original) Bush still fitted to your car. I've not got as far as road testing my car which has the full polybush front kit fitted, but cant reccomend them enough in terms of quality and compatibility, installation is entirely with the capabilities of the home workshop with a decent vice. I think I may be going standard bushes at the rear end as cant find an entire polybush kit for that back end, but that will be investigated fully at the time.

Full rebuild of the suspension is a great chance to clean up everything going back in, prolonging the vehicle in a rare chance to get everything sorted in depth. Prepare for distractions in the typical while I'm here way!
Kingfisher Blue '40 1993 3.2S #690760 L399GYP

richard1983

Postby richard1983 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:30 am

I'll be able to give some input very soon (hopefully).

My Daimler has GAZ adjustables all round, but I'm currently rebuilding the lot. Including having the dampers rebuilt by GAZ.

Bushes are being upgraded to poly and new springs, spacers etc. The only polybushes I could get for the rear through were the guide bushes on the dampers.

I just need to finish it!

I'm going for the Daimler sport option too. It's had the larger roll bar off the XJ12 (also with polybushes). That makes a nice difference.

The GAZ adjustables are a good option too. Obviously, you can make it as wafty or sporty as you like. In any setting, they are better than the originals - in my opinion.
1993 4.0 Sovereign, Flamenco Red.
1994 6.0 Daimler Double Six, Silver Frost.
2012 Mercedes E350, Obsidian Black.

Eddie_6505

Postby Eddie_6505 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:27 pm

richard1983 wrote:I'll be able to give some input very soon (hopefully).

My Daimler has GAZ adjustables all round, but I'm currently rebuilding the lot. Including having the dampers rebuilt by GAZ.

Bushes are being upgraded to poly and new springs, spacers etc. The only polybushes I could get for the rear through were the guide bushes on the dampers.

I'm going for the Daimler sport option too. It's had the larger roll bar off the XJ12 (also with polybushes). That makes a nice difference.

The GAZ adjustables are a good option too. Obviously, you can make it as wafty or sporty as you like. In any setting, they are better than the originals - in my opinion.

Sounds like exactly what I'm after!

Where did you get the rear GAZ shocks from? I've only been able to find the fronts. What springs will you be running?
1988 Daimler 3.6

richard1983

Postby richard1983 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:58 pm

I was lucky enough to pickup a complete set off of eBay.

They were not in great shape, but they went into the car anyway as the existing suspension was absolutely shot.

They have since gone back to GAZ for a rebuild, and come back completely rebuilt and ready to go again. Just waiting to put them back into the car. The only thing GAZ can't supply is the lower rear bush and rear gaiter. I've had to buy new rear Boge dampers, and then cannibalize them for the parts.

GAZ themselves were surprised to see the rears come back in. Apparently they only made around a dozen complete sets - due to the unavailability of the lower rear bushes. Jaguar don't manufacture them anymore.

So the rears are hard to find I'm afraid. That being said, you could always query GAZ themselves and ask if they make you a set. They were very accommodating when I spoke to them regarding mine.

As for the springs. Mine is the V12, so I have gone with Berkshire Jag Components own set of front and rears. As there isn't much alternative for the V12!

I've then coupled those with the sportspack spacers from Jaguar to give it a lower stance.

It'll hopefully all work together well, eventually!

richard1983

Postby richard1983 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:39 am

Eddie_6505 wrote:
richard1983 wrote:I'll be able to give some input very soon (hopefully).

Sounds like exactly what I'm after!

Where did you get the rear GAZ shocks from? I've only been able to find the fronts. What springs will you be running?

Ask Ben Thompson at Simply Performance about GAZ shocks. He might be able to help.

pimgmx

Postby pimgmx » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:20 pm

Good pointer!
They sell quite a few of GAZ/Eibach kits for XJSes and might be able to pull some strings...

the daily: 01 S8 http://bit.ly/2kIwP4m
the tractor: 77 LaRo LW https://bit.ly/2Hr9n6y
the eyecatcher: 93 Insignia http://bit.ly/1iGrmsU
the GT: 89 XJS http://bit.ly/1WQGpC5
the project: 95 X306 http://bit.ly/1cW11DN
the pocket rocket: 97 Z3 http://bit.ly/12IfE7B
the ex: 93 3.2 http://bit.ly/14GTNrq