Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Beaulieu 2011 in pictures

old del boy

Beaulieu 2011 in pictures

Postby old del boy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Beaulieu is a beautiful venue for any event but to see so many lovely Jaguars and Daimlers in such beautiful surroundings makes this event particularly special for me , set in the heart of the New forest , complete with wild animals roaming carefree across public roads you couldn’t ask for a nicer place to spend a Sunday .
I agreed to meet Rob at around eight thirty and I couldn’t have timed it better , as I crossed the entrance bang on time there was Jenner directly in front in his black XJR , both having arrived at exactly the same time :o

Fortunately at this event there is much to do if you aren’t completely interested in cars as I suspect the rest of my family may be , they quickly deserted me in favour of exploring the grounds and gardens of the Beaulieu estate leaving me to catch up with friends old and new and talk about the cars , later they would explore the excellent National motor museum , all included in the price of the entrance ticket , so making a full value for money day out .

I was parked up on our XJ40 stand along with Stuart [a newcomer to the XJ40] with his newly acquired 4.0 litre sport model in a very unusual peppermint green no less , some of you may have seen this car in a recent JEC xj40 forum article and it really is as good as it looks only having covered a mere 30,000 miles iirc , as you can imagine he paid a premium price for the car , much to Rob’s dismay as I think he had designs on it but was pipped at the post , as usual for those who don’t know these are big pictures so right click on them and open them up ,

I was parked next to his sport having a well earned cup of tea after the 125 mile journey before taking off the stone chip protective plastic you can see in this picture , the first chip I got in this area gave me a heart attack so now I use this stuff on long journeys as this is a very prone area , I also use it on the headlamps , we all know how expensive they are ,

Apparently we were in some sort of ‘time line’ there being a very nice Daimler V8 to my other side ,

I set off with my camera to capture some of the other xj40’s and found these , this is last years pride and joy winner , this time entered in the ‘Diamond class’ ,

He had an unusual matt painted cam cover , not to my taste but there you go ,

I also came across the ‘94 4.0 litre Daimler featured in the ‘How much is it worth’ thread some time ago , it was accompanied by Matt who was there attempting to sell it on behalf of his father , the car is in beautiful condition only having covered 46,000 miles as these pictures show , i believe he's asking for £4000 plus ,

I then found this ‘89 car in very remarkable condition , it went on to win the ‘pride and joy’ , deservedly so as it was in exceptional condition for an early car , the woodwork was completely unfaded and the owner assured me that it was original , quite an achievement [darker than mine] ,

I also bumped in to Michael Parkhouse who recently acquired a very nice 4.0 Daimler ,

I also found a very tidy XJR for sale [£650] ,

A very nice xj40 v12 in a grey of some sort , the owner , again selling it for his father had no idea what grey it was though I suspect it’s tungsten unless someone knows better ,

A help desk was open throughout the day for all your technical questions and a very accomplished band played a variety of popular music to sip your pimms by , early afternoon we xj40 owners were invited to form a display in the area and were interviewed by Nigel Thorley , the only time I’m ever lost for words :?

I was right down the front but quickly joined by Stuart and his sport and the other cars ,

The ‘pride and joy’ winner and young Jack and his dad ,

A very red 2.9 on the end ,

When the cars were all assembled people were invited to examine them and answer questions , here’s Rob about to show my engine to an interested enthusiast ,

There was also a display of e types , this year being their 50th anniversary but I didn’t take pictures , displays of the concours cars and pride and joy winners , all in all a very full day and thankfully beautiful weather , I still didn’t manage to see all the cars or the museum but from the pictures my daughter took it looks like a very comprehensive and interesting place worthy of a visit in itself ,

I won’t spoil your visit by posting the rest of the museum pictures but it’s full of interesting vehicles .
On the way home along the M3 we were treated to another display , this time exotic Lamborghinis , several brace of them accompanied us for many miles in heavy fast moving holiday traffic no doubt heading for the M25, I think they were probably going home from a piston heads day out at Wilton house in Salisbury , mostly when you see a Lamborghini it’s just a noisy zoom past you , these however , hampered by the heavy traffic were companions and we had time to ogle them and experience the shock and awe noise they emit , very exiting but I’m not sure I’d like it in my ear for hundreds of miles .

Apologies to those I left out or didn’t have time to talk to , there’s always next time at Weston park near Telford in Shropshire next year , it’s a whole weekend from the 22nd to the 24th of June so plenty of time to make your plans [Norman and you others in Europe] .
It should be a cracker of an event and the only major JEC meet next year as northern day, southern day are cancelled for 2012 as there’s some running races on or something :roll:

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

nlcrane
Spain Rep

Re: Beaulieu 2011 in pictures

Postby nlcrane » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Excellent photos Derek, you make me very jealous, it must have been an awesome day out. Thanks for sharing, always nice to see the Duchess and friends.
ImageImageImage
1994 Sovereign Gold 4.0

Area rep. SPAIN
espana.xj40@googlemail.com

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:17 pm

great pix and write up del. i really wanted to go, but couldn't with my recent house move. looks like i missed a good one with perfect weather.
next time!
i like that xj12. remember seeing that advertised recently too. alot of minty cars there. the xjr looks very cheap too.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

david

Postby david » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:05 am

You have taken some excellent pictures again, Derek. There were some superb XJ40s there; I really can't say I have a favourite - they're all lovely! I like the peppermint Insignia 4.0S, but I like the others too...

I think the '40 is finally emerging now from its very difficult middle age and becoming a proper classic car. Excellent cars seem to be beginning to be sought by enthusiasts and interest is rising.

Your Daimler and the XJ12 have very similar number plates!

David
Image 1992 Sovereign 3.2 diamond blue (1993 model)

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:19 am

Thanks for the encouraging remarks guys , obviously Naki i didn't expect you to turn up with your recent house move but i did think that thirty pictures of excellent cars , some of which are new to us would have prompted more discussion :roll:

Looks as though apathy is widespread looking at this thread on the JWM forum :?

http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... 1313349933

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

Michael Parkhouse

Postby Michael Parkhouse » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Great pics and commentary Derek!

Quince99

Postby Quince99 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:16 pm

There are some stunning images here - thank you for taking the time to post these. Am extremely desirous of the stunning alpine(?) green Daimler with piping ..... :mrgreen: ....DROOL....

The peppermint green (Sport) is a colour I have never seen before - was it on the regular colour swatches or a special order? Whilst I may not be in a rush to own a car in that colour, I have to admit that it makes an extremely striking statement on such a large vehicle. You wouldn't give a Kia two glances in that shade, but suddenly 15+ft of Jag.... now that's a visual impact!

And even with my own valeting business I'm not sure I could manage to get an engine bay to the condition of that blue one. I would imagine it's been well looked after since new as it looks like the engine was only assembled yesterday.

Seems to be a long row of E-types in the background with their bonnets up; surely they hadn't ALL broken down?? :lol:

bob

Postby bob » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:43 pm

It was a lovely day out and new friends were made.
A lot of the XJ40's there were very well turned out but some of them looked like they had just driven from the show room. My car is tidy by most standards but I clearly have a long way to go.
As the the XJR for £650. I wish I had spoted that, if I had the space it would have been mine :D
Thank for up loading the pics.
Number 100 of 102...

Rory

Postby Rory » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:16 pm

they do look great...
sorry for not responding sooner- not apathy - another house move - 2nd in a year and hopefully the last for some time...
Goldie hasnt had a chance to try her new garage... still too many cardboard boxes... 3 weeks on :(

rory
1992 4.0 Daimler(662003)(2010-)

Return to “JEC Northern and Southern Days”