• Advertisement
Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Selling my XJR 4.0A if anyone is interested?

NMV 1E
Distinguished Mbr

Re: Selling my XJR 4.0A if anyone is interested?

Postby NMV 1E » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:50 am

I thought the car had been withdrawn (from the marketplace) - as ongoing storage issues had been resolved :?:
Life begins at Forty !... I was born with nothing, I seem to have most of it left.

2002 Titan Silver BMW 316ti Auto Compact
2000 Bright Green V.W. Golf Avantgarde Cabriolet
1989 White V.W. Golf Cabriolet (G.T.i.)
1968 Anchor Blue Cortina 1600 GT

Lynchygt3

Postby Lynchygt3 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:29 pm

I didn’t plan on selling it, storage is no longer a problem, in fact I have too much storage now :lol:

I inadvertently never removed the thread on Facebook and a nice chap approach me out of the blue, it’s off to southern France for a better life, I would like to replace it with an extremely low mileage, perfect example when one eventually pops out from the shadows! I have a small warehouse now and want all my cars nut and bolt perfect to just sit in there being polished and admired by my eyes only, not driven... until my children grow up and I have the time and desire to use them again.

If a ‘unicorn’ example pops up please let me know.

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:24 pm

Lynchygt3 wrote:I didn’t plan on selling it, storage is no longer a problem, in fact I have too much storage now :lol:

I inadvertently never removed the thread on Facebook and a nice chap approach me out of the blue, it’s off to southern France for a better life, I would like to replace it with an extremely low mileage, perfect example when one eventually pops out from the shadows! I have a small warehouse now and want all my cars nut and bolt perfect to just sit in there being polished and admired by my eyes only, not driven... until my children grow up and I have the time and desire to use them again.

If a ‘unicorn’ example pops up please let me know.

Congrats on the storage facility. That’s a huge check box for all of us to aspire to. Be careful not to fill it too quickly. Like I did with mine. :shock:

The unicorns are getting expensive though, so I hope you are saving the pennies ready.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

NMV 1E
Distinguished Mbr

Postby NMV 1E » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 pm

Ah ha :!: .... It depends on the "Unicorn", as to how far you reach into the pocket................ ;)
Life begins at Forty !... I was born with nothing, I seem to have most of it left.

Lynchygt3

Postby Lynchygt3 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 pm

Well shes off on the ferry to greener pastures...

I’ll happily pay the required cost for the perfect XJ40 XJR 4.0A, there are no budget restraints, the only reason I had this low value one was because the right unicorn has yet to appear.

My options were to either have this one nut and bolt restored? (but it would always be a restored car with nearly 100,000 miles and not my perfect colour combo) or let it go and just wait for the right car? It would more than likely be getting stripped down this summer if my new French based friend had not appeared, my wife did say after seeing my glum face on departure day “why didn’t you just restore the silly car?” After I’d had a word with her about calling it a “silly car” :lol: I said I wish I bloody had now :roll: :lol:

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:08 pm

There will always be another. One door closes and another opens. It may well cost less to buy an excellent car, than restore your old one. It all depends what standards you are looking for?
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
Breaking 40/ 300

NMV 1E
Distinguished Mbr

Postby NMV 1E » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:06 am

Oh I think Lynchygt3 is looking for the kind of perfection you'll expect to find at the highest concourse level ... A vehicle with the purest blood line, no more than maybe one owner from new. Folders of meticulously documented service and other history .... The search aught to be fun, I've tried and concluded the best car out there has already been previously or currently owned by me. Arrogant ? Maybe, but I do wonder ... In the mean while, I just enjoy, contentment ;)

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:49 pm

NMV 1E wrote:Oh I think Lynchygt3 is looking for the kind of perfection you'll expect to find at the highest concourse level ... A vehicle with the purest blood line, no more than maybe one owner from new. Folders of meticulously documented service and other history .... The search aught to be fun, I've tried and concluded the best car out there has already been previously or currently owned by me. Arrogant ? Maybe, but I do wonder ... In the mean while, I just enjoy, contentment ;)

Firstly, my opinion is there’s no such thing as “perfection”.
When you know where to look, there’s just always something that is not quite right, missing, damaged, broken, imperfect. It’s down to quite how well you know the car, and how particular/ fussy you are.
I did finally have the pleasure to inspect your Ex car Tony.
It is a beautiful example and a credit the diligent work you did (in secret! :lol: ). But it’s not perfect. I did present Steve (the current owner) with a list of missing/ broken parts to be fixed/ replaced/ fitted.
I agree, it’s probably one of the best out there. It will be even better once the final bits are taken care of.
Also too. Let’s not forget. How long do they stay in a specific condition? We all know what happens when you use a car. Wear and tear. A nick here, a chip there, a scratch on the wheels, a bit of wear on the seat bolster etc...
Anyhow, I am pleased to report that Steve is not bogged down in perfectionism, but is very much enjoying using the car as often as possible, and doing his upmost to keep on top of maintenance and cosmetics when needed. It’s very much in safe hands.
Last edited by naki_k on Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
Breaking 40/ 300

NMV 1E
Distinguished Mbr

Postby NMV 1E » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Fair points made there naki_k, very fair points. I know of one chap who'll totally rebuild a shell from lace curtains, migging in and joddeling bits and pieces of metal, grinding chopping more shaping (its a skill and a mindset not many of us subscribe to, at least I've never, "been there"). Spraying, flatting and spraying again. Then sourcing parts and trim for it one day to resemble a motor car ... Not original, not reshelled just skilfully rebuilt. Then the car does all the shows practically every summer week end its out and about. In fact, here is one of his early (breathless) "you tube" offerings .......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9t7QG ... yDqbmXby7D
This car is now quite famous in "Ford" circles, the point I'm trying to make is that every year the owner has a rolling programme of remedial works to keep it up to the standard the car was at when the rebuild / restoration was complete. Quite and undertaking and definitely a true enthusiast of motor cars and the Ford marque.
Just returning to my present car a moment I was happy to notice that the alloy wheels had been "refurbished" to a reasonable standard (no kerbing etc) HOWEVER when they were painted two wheels had balance weights on the rims .... New tyres meant the weights needed to come off. Guess what, I now need to paint (or diligently touch up) two wheels. THEY'RE NEVER FINISHED ..... No, they're never ever finished. Its just a question of what level your OCD is at and how many Ducks need to be in a straight line ;)
My previous car (XJR) on the other hand, was requiring another tranche of repairs that didn't make economical sense when the likelyhood of its future use was more of a show piece ( :?: ) than an every day motor car. I buy cars like I buy shoes and shirts to use appropriately, they are forms of transport don't forget. Each and every one of my mini fleet I can use without worry, hassle or depreciation. I can enjoy open top motoring or be cosseted in comfort in a seriously rapid coupe, which I can also hide in most car parks too. In a simple word, contentment :D ;)

Return to “XJ40s For Sale”