Thanks guys! Yes it has turned into quite the rustathon (although it's still a lot lighter than the stuff I've done on my Spitfire, or have to come on the Triumph 2000...).
The rust on this particular panel wasn't to the point of having holes like some of the others, but wasn't a million miles away from it. It was sort of a case of 'while I was there I might as well make it good'. I expect there is rust along the bulkhead-to-floor seam as there's some crunchy bits of sealant there
but unfortunately a pending house move is likely to cut fixing that short. I'm currently borrowing my dad's car as my Fiat X1/9 went pop so the Jag needs to be roadworthy pronto! It'll get chopped out and sorted later though.
A youtube walkaround is a great idea! Once it's all actually working I'll see what I can do
I've got a gopro knocking around somewhere too so I should be able to get some driving footage as well!
Next up was the exhaust. To support the 400ish hp I want out of the M57 you really need a 3" system (or a 2.25" twin system). That's a fair bit fatter than the stock Jag exhaust which is around 2.25" for the single section and under 2" for the axle pipes (which would probably do fine if you're after 250ish hp from a basic remapped M57 or M57n).
So, first step was to shorten an affordable downpipe from eBay and swap the lower end slip joint for another v-band. I used gaffa tape to mock everything up, but on the next system I do I'll try and find a tape that doesn't have a bit of stretch in it as that often threw out the alignment.
That was followed by a long straight section to get past the gearbox mount which was a tricky section to clear, then a dogleg to avoid the handbrake mechanism.
I ummed and arred about getting a TIG to do this job, but in the end the cost and additional time to learn it just outweighed the expediency of using MIG. I was wondering about backpurging as well, but ended up not doing that either. From what I've read a well supported stainless system shouldn't suffer from cracking even if it's migged and not backpurged so I thought I'd test the idea.