Yeah if I was a bit more organised I'd have a good stock of gloves! Will be careful around the exhaust manifolds
sadly the BMW engine is filled with nasty pointy bits, as we'll soon find out...
Some more jiggery pokery with the engine as I wanted to make sure I could fit and remove the wiper mechanicsm without dislodging the intake manifold. Moved it forwards by about half an inch which sorted it.
At this point I'd lucked into having the engine dead central in the car, angled at 6.4deg and clearing all of the major components nicely so I thought I wouldn't tempt fate and try and raise it to take up the squish in the mounts. Just make them while it's central and sort any issues by shimming the mounts with metal plates (which can later be welded to the underside of the mounts themselves).
With that, I started making the mounts! They're not the prettiest, but I went for strength and using materials I had to hand over aesthetics. Nearside...
Also, someone needs to be kicked in the shins for the upper engine mount bolt placement on the LH side. It's hidden way way up behind loads of tightly packed wiring, and exits directly into a plug that's really difficult to remove so you can't get a socket on it nicely. If they'd moved the mount 10mm forward or down, or the plug 10mm up or either side (or even outward) then it would be fine. I reckon designers should be made to spend a year working on cars every now and again so they experience these sorts of things!