Fatcats Shine

DB28704

Re: Fatcats Shine

Postby DB28704 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:26 am

old del boy wrote:
This is a particular favourite wax of mine , leaves a lovely warm shine ,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARLY-WAX-car ... 563aebeffe

Derek..

Hmm, I have actually seen that Harly wax elsewhere, when talking about Black cars in specific! I will have to try the Carnuba, some day, maybe when I run out of polymer/liquid!

I've managed to figure out how to get rid of the water marks now, consistently. I have to rub each spot individually, by hand it seems, with the TW polishing compound. I tried going over it with a terry bonnet on a small 6" DA buffer and it just doesn't seem to cut.

I am a bit concerned about using this rubbing compound, now, as I still haven't gotten rid of the millions of fine scratches in the one corner where I really hit it with the stuff... :?
After ridding the entire bonnet of the water spots, it seems I am still having trouble getting rid of all the very fine scratches.
I definitely see improvement, but not a complete elimination. I imitate the Meguiar's videos on Youtube but just can't seem to find the same success, at this point.
I feel I should be at a stage where I am seeing finality in some areas.

It looks fantastic, from the right angle:

I thought that maybe it could just be shoddy terry towels or buffer fittings; so I got new ones, but that didn't seem to make any perceptible difference.

I tried making sure that everything was very, very clean, with little progress.

I realized, after buying the Meguiar's rubbing compound, that I already had the polishing compound of that type.

I see very, very little difference with either of them.

Basically I spent about 2.5 hours on the bonnet today (Roof and boot are by far the worst, especially at this point) and it DOES look very, very good....from the right angle. I just think, I KNOW, it can be better.

Should I hit it again with the rubbing compound for consistency, and then go from there? Like I said, I certainly felt the grit with the rubbing compound, should I just continue rubbing it in until it "smooths out"? I certainly didn't do that. Once I really felt it "bite" I backed off tremendously and then wiped it off with a damp cloth.

Thanks a ton for the input guys, this site has been an invaluable resource all around, not just for things specific to this rare beast!

On a side note, what actually IS the paint type on these? I remember frequently hearing what I think equates to an "Urban Myth" they are nearly impossible to repaint, short of stripping to the bare metal and starting over. Any truth in this/source of the myth, maybe?

david

Postby david » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:00 pm

DB28704 wrote:On a side note, what actually IS the paint type on these? I remember frequently hearing what I think equates to an "Urban Myth" they are nearly impossible to repaint, short of stripping to the bare metal and starting over. Any truth in this/source of the myth, maybe?

It is certainly a myth for the paint used on the XJ40 - Jaguar used 2k paint on them. This can be repainted normally, without any special techniques and without removing all the old paint.

Some Series Jaguars used various kinds of enamel paint which I have read can cause problems when repainting - though I don't know whether this is itself a myth! :lol:
Image 1992 Sovereign 3.2 diamond blue (1993 model)

DB28704

Postby DB28704 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:42 pm

david wrote:
DB28704 wrote:On a side note, what actually IS the paint type on these? I remember frequently hearing what I think equates to an "Urban Myth" they are nearly impossible to repaint, short of stripping to the bare metal and starting over. Any truth in this/source of the myth, maybe?

It is certainly a myth for the paint used on the XJ40 - Jaguar used 2k paint on them. This can be repainted normally, without any special techniques and without removing all the old paint.

Some Series Jaguars used various kinds of enamel paint which I have read can cause problems when repainting - though I don't know whether this is itself a myth! :lol:

Ahh I see, that makes complete sense. I think that when I first heard this, I had 4-5 Series 3's in the driveway!! ;)

MagicDoormouse

Postby MagicDoormouse » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:50 pm

2k is what I used when I repainted Brian 2 years ago
1990 Sovereign (Brian)
1994 Sovereign Silver
1993 Daimler (Parkhouse)
1990 XJR Solent
1993 Daimler Double 6
1993 XJR Flamenco
1991 XJS V12
1976 Capri 3.0 V6

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:19 am

I think there's too many options when detailing paintwork to give conclusive advice , each car needs it's own specific treatment according to the extent of the problem , light swirls and scratches are very common and of course show more on dark coloured cars , some may need machine polishing to try to eliminate and others may only need a good glaze and regular waxing to give the desired effect , i will say that these cars panels are huge and i've found it's more productive to concentrate on a small area at a time rather than try and finish a whole panel .

Personally i wasn't inclined to use a machine polisher for fear of doing more harm than good , instead where i thought it needed some light scratch removal i used Farecla G3 in a small area at a time then T cut to bring back a bit of shine , eventually i would follow with a glaze [which masks fine scratches] , then a seal and finally the wax , don't forget that with proper carnauba wax you build up layers over time , this will build depth of shine , take a look at the detailing forums for more ideas , you may have to experiment to see what works for you ,

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/i ... a832124f85

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/14115543 ... 108&ff19=0

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

DB28704

Postby DB28704 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 am

SUCCESS!!

That's a cloud reflected in the bonnet:
"That's going to be MY car, someday!!!" ;)

So here is what I did.

First and foremost, I have ALWAYS (in retrospect) used too much water while cutting.......

As a result, my results were tremendously inconsistent, no matter what i did.
After realizing this, I realized that the TW Polishing compound was just too coarse to do what I wanted to do, effectively.
The first pass with the Meguiars Ultimate Compound was amazing, night and day! Not perfect, but 200% better than anything I had achieved thus far.

Further along the lines of using too much water, I was removing the polish with a damp cloth.........as opposed to now using only microfibre cloths = perfect.

Realizing that I didn't need water at all made it possible for me to polish to near perfect glaze without first going over the water spots by hand, with a terry towel. The ultimate compound took care of it straight away with no troubles at all.

After that I went back over the entire car with Meguiars Polishing compound. At this point the paint was looking so good that any other small imperfection, previously eclipsed by the overall bad finish, began to become more evident.

I finished with a good even coat of Meguiars Liquid Polymer wax, and it looks better than most new cars I have ever seen!!

The water marks are completely gone, with the exception of a bit of roughness on the roof that I will go back and remedy tomorrow or shortly thereafter.

All and all, I am ecstatic with my results!

Now to do something about those tattered looking wheel centers!! ;)

MagicDoormouse

Postby MagicDoormouse » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:09 am

Stunning!
1990 Sovereign (Brian)
1994 Sovereign Silver
1993 Daimler (Parkhouse)
1990 XJR Solent
1993 Daimler Double 6
1993 XJR Flamenco
1991 XJS V12
1976 Capri 3.0 V6

DB28704

Postby DB28704 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Thank you sir!

MagicDoormouse

Postby MagicDoormouse » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Makes my Brian look a poor second!
1990 Sovereign (Brian)
1994 Sovereign Silver
1993 Daimler (Parkhouse)
1990 XJR Solent
1993 Daimler Double 6
1993 XJR Flamenco
1991 XJS V12
1976 Capri 3.0 V6

david

Postby david » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:29 am

I'm rather late to comment on this - but it looks superb! - What a transformation!
Image 1992 Sovereign 3.2 diamond blue (1993 model)