Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Cleaning then..

coeus2k

Cleaning then..

Postby coeus2k » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:46 pm

As I'm new to all this XJ40 stuff I want to get off onto the right foot with cleaning the exterior. I am willing to get polish and wax etc but is there any advice on the inital washing of the car, would people recommend jet wash, hand wash, using something other than general water and shampoo i.e wiping the car rather than soaking it with water etc?

Sorry to sound a little dumb but I dont want to just go ahead and do the wrong thing.

Regards,

Lee

NMV 1E
Distinguished Mbr

Re: Cleaning then..

Postby NMV 1E » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:50 pm

I don't know if this is "Recomended" but my method has always to use plenty of water and simply wash ! A good branded "Car shampoo" is useful for getting the really grimy stuff off. One tip I will pass on is to try and get hold of one of those "Micrlofibre" towels (they look just like a hand towel) usually bright yellow in colour. They are excellent at drying off.
Life begins at Forty !... I was born with nothing, I seem to have most of it left.

2002 Titan Silver BMW 316ti Auto Compact
2000 Bright Green V.W. Avantgarde Cabriolet
1989 White and Navy Blue V.W. Golf Cabriolet (G.T.i.)

nlcrane
Spain Rep

Postby nlcrane » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:37 pm

I usually hose the motor down thoroughly before starting with a bucket or buckets of hot water with a good car shampoo applied with a soft sponge, washing the car from the top down. This would allow the grime and grit to flow down the sides and you are not rubbing it into the paintwork. I live in an area that relies on well water, so I have bought an inline filter to allow me to do the final rinse off the motor with “clean” water. Over here the temperature is so high sometimes that the water evaporates on contact and can leave some ugly water marks which are very difficult to remove / polish out, so copious amounts of this filtered water is the order of the day. Dry it off with a good quality chamois and Bobs your uncle, or as they say over here, “Roberto es tu tio”. Polish and then wax according to your preference.
ImageImageImage
1994 Sovereign Gold 4.0

Area rep. SPAIN
espana.xj40@googlemail.com

j_r
Founder and Owner

Postby j_r » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:41 am

Id first rinse off with a hose, avoid the jet washer, if the jet gets in a chip it can rip off a sheet of clear coat and we dont want that

Hand Wash with a quality car wash use a sheepskin mitt of something with a deep pile

Rinse well and dry with microfibre

Clay Bar to remove contaminants

Polish

Wax

We have problems with hard water and if I have water marks I mist spray the car panel at a time with some distilled water with a say 5% vinegar then dry this removes those pesky marks prior to polishing

John
Founder, Owner, Memberships and all round XJ40 Nut