• Advertisement
Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Best way to remove the ABS/Brake pump unit?

XJ4081
Snr Member

Best way to remove the ABS/Brake pump unit?

Postby XJ4081 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi,

I want to remove the abs/brake pump unit from my XJ12. It's not broken, but I have to remove the mount that is holding it because I want to clean and derust that whole area. Probably some brake fluid leaked long time ago and detached part of the paint leaving some blank metal and rust. I first tried to leave it in place while cleaning up, but that doesn't work out, it's too narrow there, even if I'd manage to remove the mount without disconnecting and removing the pump I'll probably cause more damage than I am trying to fix and the unit will always be in the way.

According to the repair manual, one should first remove the clip at the low pressure hose then secure the low pressure hose with a pipe clamp and finally disconnect the low pressure hose from the unit, then disconnect the high pressure hose and the connectors. I tried to do so, but the hose sits tight and doesn't move out, actually I also don't get what that clip really holds there, it could be only that elbow piece, not the hose itself - or are hose and elbow piece one unit? Another idea was to disconnect the low pressure hose from the low pressure pipe, but that's almost the lowest position in the line and will probably cause a lot of fluid to spill.

I have seen several spare parts on offer, all of these had the hoses simply cut off - probably the quickest way to get it off but it will require replacement and once it's through, it's through, no way to keep any fluid back.

What do you think?

Thanks
Oliver
Attachments
abspump.png
abspump.png (1.61 MiB) Not viewed yet
1993 XJ12

newyankee

Re: Best way to remove the ABS/Brake pump unit?

Postby newyankee » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:16 pm

First, release any pressure by pressing the brake pedal until the pedal feels hard. Only then attempt to disconnect the low and high pressure lines.

The line with the hose is the low pressure / fluid return line. It is connected to a steel tube somewhere on the firewall, on both sides. You should be able to disconnect the hose clamp and the pull the hose of the steel tube, thus making it unnecessary to remove the tube from the pressure pump.

You will still spill brake fluid, rinse with plenty of water quickly.
--
1994 XJ12
1964 MkII 4.0 project
1968 TR5

XJ4081
Snr Member

Re: Best way to remove the ABS/Brake pump unit?

Postby XJ4081 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:14 am

That's actually what I tried to do, but I could not pull the hose off the pipe, I pulled like an idiot, but it didn't move a single mm ... tried to grab it with some pliers, but that didn't work out either, very little space there ... now I understand why car wreckers prefer to simply cut that hose.

But I finally managed to get the mounting plate out without removing the abs-unit and disconnecting the brake lines. I bent the unit and the lines as far away as I could without damaging them and fixed all the wiring with cable straps, so I had enough room to take the mount out.

The 'funny' part will indeed be to put it back there and reconnect the vacuum lines from below, they are fairly short not giving much room to fiddle about.
1993 XJ12

Return to “Service”