Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Aftermarket radio installation

Roger90

Re: Aftermarket radio installation

Postby Roger90 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:45 am

Other than a little detail and cleanup work I finished the installation of my Alpine CDE133BT and Alpine KTP445U. All speakers play as installed. though I am curious about the common ground. I found a common ground for the left rear speakers and I'm wondering if I should use it for the entire install?
The 3A fuse for radio illumination blew and I'll replace it with a 5A.
To be sure the door speakers are next.

Roger90

Re: Aftermarket radio installation

Postby Roger90 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:34 pm

My Daimler/Majestic has the DBC2459 with the six speaker common ground. And that, as others have said, is the problem.
The second pic is the PCB from the radio (PCB P/N 099-7825-01), with the lamp module switched power wires (GR/BR, BR/WT) and the speaker ground (GR/BLK) connected to a relay to complete the circuit to ground (?).
The lamp control modules are switched power with glass tube fuses (pic 1). I used one as the switched power source for the radio.

Having removed this pcb from the radio I understand why the 3A fuse blew. I have no idea why Jaguar chose to control the lamp control modules through the radio (P/N 099-7825-01) and I will use a different switched power source?

Everything works with that 3A fuse replaced by a 25A fuse (head unit 10A, amp 15A). The wiring to the center fuse block (in the console) looks to be robust enough to handle the load. However, that circuit was designed to use a 3A fuse and not a 25A fuse. I'm in no particular hurry to complete my install. My goal is an electrically competent install. My current plan is to try to duplicate the circuit on the pcb using typical 30A relays for ground and a new switched power source for the head unit and amp.

Any thoughts? Any direction from electrical engineers?