• Advertisement
Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

92 Sov 3.2 - Starter Motor Replaced!

Elsa_jag

Re: 92 Sov 3.2 - Starter Motor Replaced!

Postby Elsa_jag » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:18 pm

I’m having trouble understanding quite what the issue is, so my suggestion may be no good but it’s a free fix to try in the first instance...

I’m with Larry, I doubt the engine is seized.

The click of death can come from the gear inhibitor switch on the Jgate gear selector iirc.

I had the issue early on with my own car, I cleaned the switch up and it worked fine. For now try ignition on but don’t attempt to start the car, move the transmission out of park and into neutral and back a few times. Now try to start the car with the selector in neutral position rather than park. That got me through until I had time to sort the switch out. (My symptom for this was as if battery flat or starter stuck).
Regards, Carl

ImageImage
Elsa_1994 3.2 s/ 61000 miles/ VIN 698892
http://xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1195

XJ40 Paul
Snr Member

Re: 92 Sov 3.2 - Starter Motor Replaced!

Postby XJ40 Paul » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:56 pm

Elsa_jag wrote:I’m having trouble understanding quite what the issue is, so my suggestion may be no good but it’s a free fix to try in the first instance...

I’m with Larry, I doubt the engine is seized.

The click of death can come from the gear inhibitor switch on the Jgate gear selector iirc.

I had the issue early on with my own car, I cleaned the switch up and it worked fine. For now try ignition on but don’t attempt to start the car, move the transmission out of park and into neutral and back a few times. Now try to start the car with the selector in neutral position rather than park. That got me through until I had time to sort the switch out. (My symptom for this was as if battery flat or starter stuck).

Hi Carl , I read earlier in the post that he had wired the starter direct to the battery so I think that the starter inhibit switch is not at fault , regards Paul .
Paulus The Wood Gnome .
1988 Jaguar 3.6 .
2000 Range Rover P38 DSE daily driver .

Return to “Engine”