David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

major refurbishment imminent

Brake buster
Snr Member

Re: major refurbishment imminent

Postby Brake buster » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:35 pm

simple really ,

rub it down , degrease, primer, followed by satin black top coat, not particularly heat resistant as its only really exhaust pipes you need to use that on

so , a few accessories fitted,
new water pump all plumbed in , new alternator all put back , Andy Bracket ' refitted and radiator fan cassette fitted

IMG_6816.jpeg
IMG_6816.jpeg (177.21 KiB) Not viewed yet

IMG_6815.jpeg
IMG_6815.jpeg (224.22 KiB) Not viewed yet

IMG_6817.jpeg
IMG_6817.jpeg (210 KiB) Not viewed yet

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2015 XF Sportbrake Luxury 2.2D Turbo in British Racing Green Metallic

katar83

Postby katar83 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:13 pm

That cover gets more than warm, especially in the spark plug wells, will be interesting to see how the paint last. Looks great now, clearly labour of love :)
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car but still a daily driver.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, October 2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - Long gone.

NMV 1E
Snr Member

Postby NMV 1E » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:01 pm

katar83 wrote:That cover gets more than warm, especially in the spark plug wells, will be interesting to see how the paint last. Looks great now, clearly labour of love :)

Oh yes indeed, clearly a labour of love alright ... It's knowing when to stop, sometimes. I recall the story about the chap with a cabin cruiser and because of a blown bulb in the "saloon" ended up rewiring, re-decking and almost re-building the complete craft....... :shock:
Life begins at Forty !... I was born with nothing, I seem to have most of it left.

2006 Baby Blue Hyundai Getz 1.4 CDX, Auto (yes I know, I know, but you'd be surprised, I was !)
1989 White and Navy Blue V.W. Golf Cabriolet (G.T.i.)

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:01 pm

katar83 wrote:That cover gets more than warm, especially in the spark plug wells, will be interesting to see how the paint last. Looks great now, clearly labour of love :)

you could well be right , lol

time will tell, and it will give me something to do once i have her running again ,

BB

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:24 pm

so , today , i sat down with some feeler gauges, some paper and a pen ( Jaguar pen at that ;) ), i had previously noted all the shim sizes under the lifter buckets under the cam shafts , the shim size was still readable on the shim surface , this was denoted as a '30 or a '26 etc, for all 24 valves , my original shims ranged from #27 to #38 across the 24 valves

then with the feeler gauges i measured the gap between the back lobe and the follower top for each valve, this should be between 0.012" to 0.014" of an inch for inlet and exhaust , ( 12 to 14 thou )

noting each reading under the original shim size for each valve , as can be expected, with some wear and also the lapping of the valves, not many were within tolerance, but most were very close , some 0.0015" and a little more on some (measured at 0.0155" for example + 1.5 thou over max tollerance of 14 thou )

still with me ??

so , now with the original shim size and the new reading of gap , and some calculations i could work out how much bigger a new shim would need to be to close the gap to within tolerance ( 12 to 14 thou ) X24 , lol

so , looking at the parts on Jaguar Heritage, i could work out which new shim i needed , but hold on , not quite that simple, for example a #29 shim is measured at 0.0985" , i need a shim 1.5 thou thicker , so 0.1000" is needed, so looking through the shim table to find the new size, it turns out i now need a #33 reference size shim ,

fun isn't it , lol

so , with some swapping undersize for over size and making a list, i needed x7 new shims of the calculated size , and they should be in tomorrow , cost £4.02 each including VAT , so im happy with that to be honest ,

wish me luck

BB

btw, gap tolerance is between 12 and 14 thou , however it is recommended to go towards the 14 thou side as a little noise is much more preferable to tight tolerances once the engine is at running temperature causing potential galling of metal surfaces....

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:47 pm

in-between my day shift and a night shift tonight , i decided to do what i could,

so first thing this morning, i moved all the shims around and added the new ones , and then bolted down the cam brackets after applying some super slippy/sticky engine build lube , and then tightened the cam covers to 26NM , that went very well ,

then i decided i was up for putting the head back on the block , so gave it a good wipe down , checked TDC , placed the new head gasket on and with the aid of my grown up son we placed the new head onto the block , it sat down very nice first time, so happy days,

then i got the x14 new head bolts and dropped them in place, and gave a quck spin up by hand so they sat against the head , then using the correct tightening sequence i torqued each bolt to 60NM , basically you start in the middle and work outwards doing opposite bolts as you go , when each bolt had been tightened i left it for half an hour to ' relax ' , in the mean time i placed a white mark to each bolt had looking towards the front of the car , then used a long breaker bar and a deep 17mm socket and using the same tightening pattern as above i put a 90 degree turn into each bolt, this is easy to do with the white mark , as the start facing the front, and are at 90 when facing the right wing , thats the head fixed down ,

i then offered up the exhaust manifolds to the mostly new studs , and fixed them down with new gaskets and spring washers, and then placed the refinished rocker cover on to stop any debris falling into the cam head ,
IMG_6824.jpeg
IMG_6824.jpeg (3.6 MiB) Not viewed yet

IMG_6825.jpeg
IMG_6825.jpeg (2.87 MiB) Not viewed yet

next is to fit the cam chains and upper sprockets to get the timing correct, and then the chain tensioner and the distributor,

but that wont be until im off nights now

BB

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:24 pm

let the buttoning up commence

firstly , get the upper cam timing chains and pockets set , with the engine at TDC and the inlet and exhaust cams confirmed with the setting tool you pull up the cam chain up onto the inlet sprocket , pull it tight and place in the centre facing plate with x4 bolt holes, this will only go in one way , ensure new locking tabs are placed in , then place the chain and exhaust sprocket over the exhaust cam , and then insert the chain tensioner to take up any slack, when satisfied place in the inner locking plate and x4 bolts as before, check TDC on everything again , and tighten as required and pull over locking tabs

IMG_6843.jpeg
IMG_6843.jpeg (3.25 MiB) Not viewed yet

IMG_6832.jpeg
IMG_6832.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Not viewed yet

IMG_6834.jpeg
IMG_6834.jpeg (2.65 MiB) Not viewed yet

then the upper chain guide needs fitting ,

IMG_6838.jpeg
IMG_6838.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Not viewed yet

then the distributor can be placed in using the position marked before removal, and the contact pointing towards the 5 o'clock position towards the cutout tab ,
IMG_6841.jpeg
IMG_6841.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Not viewed yet

i then got my 32mm ratchet and after lining up the cams etc, i turned the engine over by hand on the lower crank bolt, checked the TDC at one revolution , and did another revolution , and again checked TDC , it was all in the right place, so i placed on the cam cover seals and tightened down the cam cover
i also added the dizzy cap and leads for that ' finished look , lol'

IMG_6844.jpeg
IMG_6844.jpeg (2.58 MiB) Not viewed yet

IMG_6846.jpeg
IMG_6846.jpeg (2.98 MiB) Not viewed yet

time for tea....

BB
Last edited by Brake buster on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xjr41

Postby xjr41 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:50 pm

That looks great. Well done, lovely looking engine.
Visit Jaguarsport-XJR.com - The home of the XJR.
1993 XJR Westminster Blue - Second To Last RHD Manual Built - under restoration

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 pm

thanks , its been quite hard and very intricate and technical at times, but hopefully worth the effort , as i think i want to use her as my daily driver....... we shall see

so , as of this evening, everything is now put back together, the intake manifold got new gaskets and bolted up quite easily , this was after connecting up the interior heater matrix pipe valve at the back of the head which is under the intake side, my late car has a pipe and olive with back-nut fitting, unlike earlier cart with the longer pipe to the valve ,

then i fitted the thermostat block to the head, i searched high and low for a gasket but couldn't seem to find one,,,,,, ( when removed i didn't see one either ) and it seems that on the late AJ6 the mating surfaces just get some gasket sealant and are face to face fitting, so thats what i did, connecting up the remaining cooling systems pipework and bits and bobs ,

fitted a new Genuine Jaguar oil filter ,

then i connected up the TB induction pipework and airbox , a few final fittings to button it up

tomorrow ( if it doesn't rain ) i will drain the rest of the engine oil, fill with new, and fill with some ready mixed OAT coolant specially mixed for aluminium engines ,

crank it over with the coil disconnected to get oil pressure etc, and then see if it makes any nasty noises, lol

thanks for staying with me on this, and have a go yourself,,,,how hard can it be :shock: :shock: :lol:

BB

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:00 pm

NMV 1E wrote:Shouldn't the "ribs" be shiny "ali" ? Look "ace", then ..... ;)

On all except 94MY.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler