Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

New Member & just bought a 1994 4.0 Sport

Jagman_40

Re: New Member & just bought a 1994 4.0 Sport

Postby Jagman_40 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:57 pm

Just reading an excellent book by Nigel Thorley 'You & Your XJ40' printed 2002.

It has a list of Production figures by model, and this varies quite considerably with a listing I found online. Dated 2010.

However, I am inclined to believe the book rather than the online version, which, for a start, is including 1983/4/5 models!

I mention this partly because it does record just 500 4.0 Sport models in 1994, and none at all in 1993. So, a total production of just 500 then, not 802.
Both sources actually agree on the 3.2 Sport figures tho. 1610 in 1993 & 1507 in 1994. Total 3117.

Total production is recorded as 208,706. Which is born out by a photo of the last car off the line, with a board stating the same.
The internet version claiming 208,733. But this includes 1983/4/5 models of course!

If anyone would like to see the production figures in the book, I'm happy to scan & post if required.

Jagman_40

Postby Jagman_40 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:17 pm

Quick progress report.

I've removed the windscreen wiper mechanism, and the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen.
Partly to replace one blocked-off (broken) washer jet, but mainly to look for any rust holes in the bulkhead, as recommended on this forum.
The so-called ducks bill was not even present, so has either been previously removed, or was never fitted to a 1994 car perhaps?

Luckily,I have found only very superficial rust, which can be treated by rust converter, thankfully no holes at all.
However, this doesn't help explain why the drivers footwell carpet was wet tho, just eliminates this possible cause.

I have also checked the air-con drain pipes inside the car, & they were fine too.

So, water ingress is still a mystery... thus far!

donkeyotty
North Wales Rep

Postby donkeyotty » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 pm

My plenum chamber was rust free also yet I still had a massive hole in the bulkhead, that was actually one of four holes in total. The problem is not what you can see but what you cannot see. A better test would be to remove the wiper motor housing which would allow access to the lower area underneath it. I think the main thing first though would be to find where the water is actually coming in. Strip out the footwell carpets and as much insulation as possible. If it is trickling down the sides of the transmission tunnel then it is probably the bulkhead, if it is coming in around the bonnet release/fuse box area then it could be corrosion around the A post/inner wing area. Just to make things worse there are many other places water can get in, wiring grommets etc most of which can only be seen/examined/checked from inside the wings after removal of the wheel arch liner. I only found the main hole after removing the dash and the HVAC unit which upon removal brought a big chunk of bulkhead with it, happy days lol. Hopefully your problem will be quickly resolved with not too much effort.
1994 Regency Red 4.0 Sovereign M117FVC
2004 Volvo V50 SE Estate (Daily)

abercanadian

Postby abercanadian » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:04 am

I had a mystery leak same as you and it turned out to be this:

https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=997812&p=173622&hilit=leak+wiring+harness+drip#p173622

Larry
94 XJ40 VDP vin 701729
Oyster Metallic/Doeskin on Aero Alloys
240,000 km/149,000 Miles
Daily Driver

94 XJ40 SOVEREIGN vin 703632
Diamond Blue Metallic/Barley
111,000 km/69,000 Miles
Parts Car

Jagman_40

Postby Jagman_40 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi Larry,

I was thinking of removing the wheelarch plastic covers & taking a look inside the front wings...
Now I definately will !

Thanks for the brilliant description & photos of the problem, and of the solution of course.
I'll get on to this straight away now... Cheers

And thanks to all the other comments on this thread too, thanks to all... Cheers
Geoff
Isle of Man
94 4.0 Sport
Flamenco Red with Doeskin interior. Chassis no. 700038

Jagman_40

Postby Jagman_40 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:15 pm

donkeyotty wrote:My plenum chamber was rust free also yet I still had a massive hole in the bulkhead, that was actually one of four holes in total. The problem is not what you can see but what you cannot see. A better test would be to remove the wiper motor housing which would allow access to the lower area underneath it. I think the main thing first though would be to find where the water is actually coming in. Strip out the footwell carpets and as much insulation as possible. If it is trickling down the sides of the transmission tunnel then it is probably the bulkhead, if it is coming in around the bonnet release/fuse box area then it could be corrosion around the A post/inner wing area. Just to make things worse there are many other places water can get in, wiring grommets etc most of which can only be seen/examined/checked from inside the wings after removal of the wheel arch liner. I only found the main hole after removing the dash and the HVAC unit which upon removal brought a big chunk of bulkhead with it, happy days lol. Hopefully your problem will be quickly resolved with not too much effort.

I have removed the wiper motor housing, and examined the bulkhead below... all good, only minor surface rust...
I've treated it with rust converter & painted it with hammerite tho.
I don't fancy removing the dashboard, but I will investigate inside the front wings now.
Cheers

katar83

Postby katar83 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:57 am

Any 40 owner should really remove the front wings as one of the first things to do, its a number 1 hidden rust area underneath the top rear corner, not to mention wings on 40s are also one of first thing to go so if you plan on keeping the car, take your time, remove them and inspect/clean/paint. You'll have easy access to the loom too.
1996, 3.2 SWB X300 - Relatively rust free daily driver!
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car, sold 10.2020!.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, 10.2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - First Jaaaag, long gone.

Jagman_40

Postby Jagman_40 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:24 pm

Interesting...

Only Today I was checking that the front wings were bolt-on, and not welded on.
I assume that the front corners, bumpers etc. would need removing too? To facilitate wing removal?
Big Job still, I'm sure... However, I was also wondering just how much access removing the front wheelarch liners would give.
Given that is more than likely the source of my water ingress into the footwells, curing this must require good access if possible, surely.

I've had 2 XJS V12's & 3 XJS 3.6's... So, I'm not surprised yours is a never ending project!
Hope XJ40's arn't the same?!

Thanks for the suggestion tho, & I expect that I might just be taking your advice sooner rather than later too?!
Cheers

pimgmx

Postby pimgmx » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:05 pm

Jagman_40 wrote:I assume that the front corners, bumpers etc. would need removing too? To facilitate wing removal?

Removing the bumper is actually the easiest bit (assuming the bolts aren't stuck)...
It's held in place with two bolts, 19mm heads iirc, which can be undone from underneath the center bumper beam.
You can then remove the bumper in one piece, after disconnecting headlamp washer hose and indicator wiring.
Ideally, have an assistant at hand to wiggle the bumper free without its side blades damaging the wing paint!

The lower part of the wings is probably the least fun to do: that is bolted to the chassis with bolts you may not find at first sight.
Remove the wheel well mud guards and use a torch to get an idea of where they are located...
The picture below with the wing of my ex-DD6 removed shows the wing bolt holes in the A pillar area, which are nicely hidden with the wings in place.

the daily: 01 S8 http://bit.ly/2kIwP4m
the eyecatcher: 93 Insignia http://bit.ly/1iGrmsU
the GT: 89 XJS http://bit.ly/1WQGpC5
the diva: 88 Biturbo SI https://bit.ly/3dzdvAL
the ex: 93 3.2 http://bit.ly/14GTNrq

Jagman_40

Postby Jagman_40 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:41 pm

Thanks for the further advice, and photo with the wing removed, most useful.

I have Today removed the front wing liners & inspected the hidden areas, with the help of a light of course!
They actually don't look too bad at all really. I don't have a sunroof, so that's one less drain pipe to worry about.
And the wiring loom and lower grommet look quite a bit different to yours. Perhaps because my car is a 1994.

I'm very tempted to continue now and remove the wings, and the bumper, and the front valance / spoiler etc.
It's a 4.0 Sport, so maybe has more under the bumper than other models?
However, I'm a bit unsure whether this is all necessary still, it certainly doesn't look bad inside the wings!

I'll keep thinking about it tho, so watch this space ...

Cheers

Return to “93-94”