Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Ten years with scrapper

old del boy

Ten years with scrapper

Postby old del boy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:32 am

Most of you know i bought scrapper as a parts car , as there was still MOT on it i decided to run it until it run out [about nine months i think ] , when it became due for another i thought i'd take a chance and see if it would pass as it was running so well and i'd grown quite attached to it , well that was ten years ago and she passed the tenth in a row under my ownership this afternoon .

She looked a bit grim upon delivery , it came on the back of a transporter from far away and i'd bought it unseen of ebay , what could possibly go wrong eh ?
I started her up and was immediately aware of a horrendous knocking sound , omg what have i done ? , well it wasn't as bad as i'd feared and a secondhand waterpump was all she needed , the paintwork was dull and there were areas where the lacquer was beginning to go but that didn't worry me as it was only a parts car right ?

As i drove it more it i gradually fixed the little things that didn't work and even fitted a few new parts , front and rear bumpers , a new woodset and a new battery , a few years went by and a couple of new front tyres were needed then i got around to refurbishing the brakes with new discs and pads , as time went by i got braver and had the dash out to fix up the blowers , more recently following a period of not using her she developed a fault with the fan relay which a replacement sorted , she also started to stumble to the point of cutting out and triggering the engine management light , the FF44 code hinted at a fault in the oxygen sensor circuit which after testing the heater circuit and earths led me to conclude it must be the actual sensor , a new one was sourced and normal running was resumed .

I was particularly chuffed today , not only because she passed [ with low emissions no doubt due to the new o2 sensor ] but that the new owner of the garage i took it to asked permission to put pictures of it on his facebook page , you can see it and my Rover SD1 on the Alcock and Vidler page if you are on fb , not a bad 750 quids worth i'd say ;)

'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

nlcrane
Spain Rep

Re: Ten years with scrapper

Postby nlcrane » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:46 am

Excellent news Derek, and to think you still have the nerve to call her scrapper. Shame on you sir, pity that all the good photographs taken in the UK seem to be made in the rain, just wait till after Brexit it can only get worse.
ImageImageImage
1994 Sovereign Gold 4.0

Area rep. SPAIN
espana.xj40@googlemail.com

rvdz
Forum Hero

Postby rvdz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:10 am

Congrats Derek, quite a milestone for any car, especially one that was never meant to survive more than 10 months, let alone 10 years.

I remember reading through lots of old posts when I first joined this forum, and thinking that you posts about this car you called "scrapper" must have been accompanied by the wrong photos, all I could see was this pristine Daimler that would put many "show car" to shame.

Here's to the next 10 years!
Roel

1994 Sovereign 4.0 Auto [698760]

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 am

Thanks for the compliments guys but pictures can flatter a car , especially the dark Westminster blue ones , the paintwork is a mixture of original paint and my own attempts with rattle cans , this has been part of the fun of owning this car , trying to make it look decent when the lacquer was peeling off all over the place , the fact that it appears to be reasonable is good enough for a car that really had no long term future .
Perhaps if the mileage hadn't been so high to start with i might have had a professional paint the bigger panels but i couldn't justify spending big sums on it , i've really enjoyed painting it , not having to worry about ruining a good car is very liberating , dark blue is also very forgiving and always looks good cleaned and polished .

I think i've been fortunate in as much as there's little or no rust on this car , all i've had top do apart from the paint is service it and fix the little niggles that turn up now and again , i've learned a lot from owning this car that i wouldn't have just polishing the other one , but i wouldn't be without either ,

Derek..

ChrisW

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:53 am

I think you're being very tongue in cheek with the term "scrapper" as clearly this car is never going to be dismantled for spares in your ownership. I know what you mean about the pleasure principle. I get more enjoyment from keeping my crusty XJR on the road than I do from polishing the XJ12 for its occasional outings.
http://www.springballchange.co.uk
'93 XJR
'93 XJ12
'73 MGB Roadster
97 Range Rover Autobiography

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:28 am

ChrisW wrote:I think you're being very tongue in cheek with the term "scrapper" as clearly this car is never going to be dismantled for spares in your ownership. I know what you mean about the pleasure principle. I get more enjoyment from keeping my crusty XJR on the road than I do from polishing the XJ12 for its occasional outings.

Well of course you are right Chris , i couldn't possibly ''kill'' old scrapper i'm far to fond of her , i suppose it'll pass on to someone else eventually that will see it as a project , it's got this far without rust which is half the battle , it'll just need someone with access to painting equipment but that's a good way off yet , she's running like a dream since fitting the new oxygen sensor , seems quicker off the mark when accelerating but maybe it's just my imagination , we'll review the situation again next October :)

Derek..

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:24 pm

Keep up the good work Derek. This car will keep on going forever, or as long as you want it to.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:25 pm

How about some more beauty shots to show her off. Especially for new members not familiar with her?
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:12 am

naki_k wrote:How about some more beauty shots to show her off. Especially for new members not familiar with her?

Log on to FB there's plenty of scrapper and the Rover on the MOT ramp , the new owner is a bit keen on old cars , not a member myself but i've seen them ,

https://www.facebook.com/alcockandvidle ... 5055762611

Derek..

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 pm

naki_k wrote:How about some more beauty shots to show her off. Especially for new members not familiar with her?

It would be wrong to assume from pictures that i have done a good paint job , a closer inspection would show that , all i wanted to achieve was a car that looked better than it did , the lacquer was deteriorating to such an extent it was becoming an embarrassment , i don't actually have a picture of the bonnet that shows the full extent of the lacquer fail as it occurred over many months , this one of the roof will give you an idea of just how bad it got , i decided that even just using rattle cans i could make it look better ,

It has taken many attempts to get a reasonable finish and i will probably re paint some areas as i'm not happy with them , namely the roof which is difficult due to the sheer size ,

Here she is this morning , clean , freshly serviced and mot'd ready for the winter duties ,

If you look carefully you will notice the lack of coachline on the wing , i painted the top section but haven't replaced the raggedy line which had to be removed

Derek..